Reviving Tree Surgeon

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I'd like to take a shot at reviving tree surgeon.  It was last updated for VS2008 and I think that this valuable tool needs to be updated for VS2010.

Hopefully this will go straight to the devs and we won't need to fork.

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Sure, always open to some suggestions or contributions. If you want to submit a patch please go ahead.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:54 AM
Edited Feb 23, 2011 at 5:54 AM

Yeaaaaaaaa, someone is still at the helm.

Hope you can help, I've never created a patch before and have no idea where to start.

I'm not sure how much of a hash I've made of things, I had to add a 2010 resource branch, and I think I broke the MBUnit part of the code (I had to add a second NUnit file to the test project). 

But it builds a 2010 solution with NUnit, the project builds, the tests build, and the batch file works.

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Ok, I've figured out how to make a patch.

Right now I'm going through a new download of the code to see if I can make my patch as clean as possible.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:28 PM

I have added a patch, I'm not convinced that it captured all the files that I added and the changes to the tools directory that I added.

Please let me know what I need to do.

Also, the pluggable architecture from the road map in an interesting concept that I would love to follow up on.

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I truely hope a VS2010 Version will be available soon. I'll have a look at the source later tonight, maybe I can help get things done.

May 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Having this work with VS 2010 and .NET 4.0 would be great. Also consider VS2012 and .NET 5.0. Please also update the NUnit and Nant binaries to the latest version. And having the option to choose between MSBuild and Nant as build script would be awesome.

It seems NCover (open source) doesn't seem to work with .NET 3.5 or .NET 4.0.

Great little productivity tool.

Make it a paid application. I would pay $20 for it.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:50 AM

It's been a while since I tried digging into the code.  I submitted a patch that had 2010 support back in February.  That patch is marked as "being evaluated" but it is also available for download.

http://treesurgeon.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/patches

I'd like to suggest that the devs put out a stripped down version that provides support for VS 2010 and 2012 and has had the NCover support removed.  Call it 2.1.

It would be a great starting place, I just don't know how hard that would be.